When my lady friend over at Juicebox Confession asked me to join in this blog hop I thought it would be a great way to get my postpartum ass in gear. I’ve been looking to work my atrophied writing muscle and this is a great way to dip my blogging toe back in the cool waters of the interwebs.
What follows is a myriad of questions compiled by eleven bloggers all answered and posted on the same day by said bloggers. At the end of the post you will find links to the other blogs!
So enjoy this interview of sorts and please hop over to the other bloggers same questioned posts.
1. What made you start blogging?
What made me start blogging? What was it? It was writing…..
I started my blog at a time of many transitions and changes in my life. My family’s financial situation greatly changed. I was taking non clinical courses toward my nursing degree. I was staying at home taking care of my, at the time, one year old boy so all of the courses I was taking were online. I did A LOT of writing. I found myself in it. At the end of the semester I got my final paper back from one of my classes and in the review my professor said that she would buy anything I published. Even if it was a manual for a washing machine. She *enjoyed* my writing. She looked forward to it. That felt good. So. I started my blog and I dropped nursing school. That’s right. Just let it go. It wasn’t what made me happy. Writing did. Using my hands did. Now I’ll never be broke because I’ll always be happy in my work. When you are happy with what you do, the rest will follow.
In the archives from the birth of the blog you’ll find a few of my essays from my Psychology class.
Now my blog has many masks because what I’m into *now* changes. Knitting, cooking, mothering, babywearing, writing fiction. It’s always writing.
2. What is the meaning behind the name of your blog?
Flaws and All. This is me flaws and all. You’ll see all my triumphs and my success here but don’t think for one hot minute that I won’t exploit myself too. Hell yes I will. There can be found much hilarity in all that business. It’s also very humbling and courage/esteem building. In divulging my flaws I’m helping others and my family AND myself grow. People will read my blog and come to me and say “Oh my gerd….I’m not alone.” And what’s worse in this world than to feel alone? So. This is me Flaws and All.
3. Blogging is a great, quick way for a writer to reach an audience; how has blogging affected your daily life and do you get nervous when posting your thoughts for the interwebs to judge?
My blog, I feel, is an extension of myself. I dont put on a different hat (unless I’m writing fiction 😉 ) to write a post. I dont try to fill a different mold. So that being said….Do I get nervous when I go to the bank? No. Do I get nervous when I go to my best friend’s house to just hang out and shoot the shit? No. I’m me. I can’t, and I won’t, change that. If I was nervous I certainly would not be posting my flaws!
Wait…that’s bullshit. Yeah, yeah I do. I do get nervous. I get nervous that what I wrote might not be good enough or maybe its too opinionated. Lots of my readership is local and are people that I, like, care about. So I always am concerned with what people I care about think about what I publish. What I said in the previous paragraph is true. I am me…flaws and all and so in that regard I’m not worried about what the Greater Interwebs thinks about my writings. I’m not aiming for numbers. I’m aiming for that chord that hits for some when they read the “just right” blog post that hits home for them. A post that might change their perspective or even give them perspective. So yes. That is a tad nerve wracking.
4. How does your partner/others in your life feel about blogging? Do they find it invasive or do they fully support the blog effort?
My biggest fan IS my husband. He really is the driver in the car that drives my life. He’s my fuel. He critiques with love, he shares posts with gusto and he sits me down to write when it’s been too long. Full support all the time. Damn, I love that dude.
5. What are your limits on your blog….? (What don’t you talk about, who don’t you name, etc.)
Well, like I said, I’m a heart-on-the-sleeve kinda lady. So there isn’t much I won’t share. Where I do draw the line for posting is when I feel heated or hurt. These feelings are usually brought on by an external stimulus. Its never wise to type or speak when heated. I have found at least.
6. What is the most inappropriate/awful/shitty thing you ever blogged about, and did it you actually post it to your blog?
Yes I posted it. And here it is. Though you’d never know it.
7. How do you feel, as a writer, about the digitization of books? Do you prefer your Kindle or an old fashion paperback?
I think the digitization is great. I prefer to have my hands on paper. But access to text, literature and media just at the click of a button is priceless.
8. What 3 things are you reading online (blogs/websites, e-magazines, or social media) do you follow or always read when you see new content, even when you’re busy?
Facebook. And….that’s it. I read other blogs. I am interested in other websites. But that’s all folks. And a lot of that has to do with the time I don’t have to spend being on top of it all. I have three boys! One of which is 2 months old and nurses….when he is awake. The others are a two year old with the mind of a two year old the size of a three year old and the capability of a four year old…so that’s time consuming in itself and the other is a 6 year old the size of a four year old with the imagination to reach to the bottom of the ocean…so the time I have not focused on them is….usually sleeping.
9. What song/singer/band is on your iPod that would surprise people the most?
Gregorian covers of pop culture songs. Check it out. It will knock your children out on car rides. And you too if you aren’t careful.
10. Who is your biggest celebrity crush?
Patrick Stewart….Anthony Kiedis…..no Patrick….NO Anthony……Robert Downy Jr? No….Anthony Kiedis…..I can’t decide….
11. What is your guilty pleasure?
Relentlessly grooming my children. Nose picking, ear wax mining, toe nail clipping. Nothing pleases me more than grooming my kids. Screaming and thrashing and all….and when they are done…I move on to my husband…I’m a freakin’ monkey. It’s bizarre.
12. If you could offer a baby only one piece of advice (kind of like the fairies in Sleeping Beauty), what would it be?
Try everything once. If you don’t like it you don’t have to do it again but you might never know you like something until you try it. Once. (And responsibly….do not be a fucktard. Herion is bad. So is that krokadil shit….)
13. Has your biggest fear ever come true?
My biggest fears are natural disasters, any and all water slides and house fires. I will not get on waterslides and I have, knock on wood, cross my fingers, throw salt, all that stuff, have never experienced a natural disaster to the capacity of my fear. However, I’m only afraid of house fires after living through one. I wasn’t afraid of them before hand though. So ultimately, no, my biggest fear has never come true. I have only obtained a fear though experiencing it.
14. When something awesome happens to you, who do you call first?
Easy. Hubs, Mom, my bestie -Stacy. Not always in that order, always those people.
15. What is your passion and do you do it for a living? If not, why not?
I have so many passions. I’m a passionate lady. They are ever changing. Right now it’s my littles. They are my passion…I cant help it. It’s primally engrained in my brain to keep them alive. So yes. I am doing it. Come back in a year or two….who knows what my passion will be then and if I can make money off it or not 😉
16. Give us your worst/funniest/silliest/most interesting SELFIE picture. (If you don’t have one you love, just take any picture of yourself, go to PicMonkey or any other online service or program and add a mustache/glasses/anything!)
This is a picture I took of myself inspired by the hashtag pretty girl ugly face epidemic. Please…enjoy.
17. What is your favorite childhood movie?
Drop Dead Fred. All the way. I had that movie memorized by the time I was in 4th grade. Inappropriate and full of imagination. That movie had no impact on who I turned out to be as an adult! noooooooo…..
18. If you could be any kind of animal, what would you be and why?
I would be a horse. Have you ever been on a horse? If not….man…you’ve got to do it. Its the best therapy ever. Forget your meds, your wine, your shrink….get on a horse. I would be a horse because I have never felt more connected to the earth or ever felt as aware of the earth as I have when I was riding a horse. Imagine the sort of energy a horse can feel. Have you ever seen a horse run? Full tilt? Its amazeballz.
19. What’s your favorite adult beverage?
I joke that my boys middle names are ‘Jose Cuervo’, ‘Tanqueray’, and ‘Bailey’. But my favorite would be a nice classy gin and tonic.
20. How many drinks does it take before you get drunk and what is your bad drunken habit (think: tequila makes her clothes fall off….)?
Wow…I haven’t been this drunk in a lonnng time. But it used to be 6 shots of tequila or several G + Ts make me think I can fly….out a third story window….ahem. Now that I’ve been pregnant or nursing for the past 3 years its one or two beez knees (again a gin drink) and my bad drunken habit would be biting my husband. No, not in the sexy way…In the “I’m a out of control teething toddler and I can’t fight this urge to bite you” sort of way. Its indecent.
21. If you had to appear on the popular Gameshow, “Baggage” as a contestant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baggage_(TV_series)), what would your 3 pieces of baggage be? (NO explanations)
My small piece of baggage would be “I’ve been engaged four times and married twice.”
My medium baggage is “I’ve done a suspension and I cant wait to do it again”
My large trunk of baggage is “I have to parent with oldest son’s father and that baggage will never go away”
22. Do you hover over the toilet in public bathrooms?
In portapotties ALWAYS! Why does it always look like a fracking petri dish in those shit shuttles?!……In public restrooms…I try to. But….not usually. I give the seat a ten point check before I sit on it. For sure. But I’ve found trying to stand and pee with three boys under six trapped in that stall with you is damn near impossible.
23. What’s the strangest talent you have?
I asked my husband this question of me. His response: “That weird fuckin’ dolphin sound you make is strange…..”. There you have it. I make a weird fuckin’ dolphin sound with my tongue.
24. If the zombie apocalypse were to happen, how long would you survive and why?
Alright. That’s the end of my tolerance for this question. I’ll tell you how long I’d survive a zombie apocalypse…I just would. Why?! Because its not real. This trendiness of who would out live who theoretical BS and who would be on my ultimate team of zombie apocalypse survival blah blah blah has to come to an end. Don’t get me wrong. I love George A Romero just as much as the next guy but, come on. I’ve taken the online quizzes…I know I can kill 28 zombie infected children before they take me down. Can we just fracking move on….Please?
25. What are 3 things you think people usually assume incorrectly, misunderstand or don’t “get” about you either in real life, or as a result of your blog?
1) While I did say earlier that I exploit my flaws for the value of humor or for others to see that they are not alone I will say that a misconception that people may have of me might be that it’s easy for me to share these things. My imperfections. Sure, I over share on the playground with other moms. Sure, all my facebook friends know I’ve had diarrhea for 5 months. But the really hard stuff I share like what happens behind closed doors is damn near impossible to type through the tears. Its very….therapeutic.
2) People assume that I am a bitch. By “people” I mean people who don’t know me. I’m not a bitch. I’m not out to ruin your day….I just don’t want to have any of that drama in my life. And I literally do not have time for it. Its not good for me, its not good for my family….so when I drop someone like a hot potato for being as such it’s only for the better of all good.
3) People think I’m tough as nails. I’m totally not tough as nails. I can hoot and holler about my astrological sun sign (Capricorn) all day and I can talk a mean talk….but I wont ever let you know you hurt me if you aren’t incredibly close to me. And I’m super sensitive!
26. Last question, at the end of the day…what will have made your life a success?
That my boys didn’t end up in jail. I will have created reasonable, responsible, law abiding citizens who value life. Boys who treat women and men good. Boys who have balanced checkbooks but know that life is not about the acquisition of dollars. If I can lead my boys in the right direction and they succeed that by virtue will have made my life a success.
More Than Cheese And Beer
Mommy Needs Wine Not Whine
Full Metal Mommy
Pink Fuzzy Slippers And My Hubby’s Pants
Flaws And All
Toy Cars In My Purse